@chiwilderness Hope you were riveted!
the Habitat Conservation Program
- Organization Audubon South Carolina/Francis Beidler Forest
- Website http://www.audubon.org
- Amount 150000
- Grant Awarded November 2009
- Duration 36 months
- Program Land Conservation
- Location Lowcountry South Carolina
When first acquired by the Audubon Society in 1969, the Francis Beidler Forest consisted of 3,415 acres of bottomland hardwood forest, the largest surviving piece of virgin cypress tupelo forest in the world. With steady work, that tract has now been expanded to slightly over 16,000 acres held in fee simple, extending for miles up and down the Four Holes Swamp tributary of the Edisto River.